Friday, November 2, 2007

a short film with a soundtrack album?



Okay, the title of this post is an exaggeration. It's hard to actually foresee any scenario in which an official soundtrack album to Don't Call Us is ever released commercially. But for a short film, DCU does pack a lot of music, at least in its current (still somewhat rough) form. In the current cut, there are six or seven songs, and the film runs less than seven minutes.

I'm not quite ready to send around the rough cut, but in the meantime, I thought I'd give a sneak preview of some of the music. I hate to link to MySpace pages, but, well, I'm about to link to MySpace pages. Brace yourself, 'cause here goes.

Eli "Paperboy" Reed and the True Loves contribute the song that will probably play over the end credits. You can sample it on the MySpace page; it's "Take My Love With You," the third song listed. I recently saw Mr. Reed and his cohorts live, and I highly recommend checking them out if you get a chance. They put on a live show that's even better than their band name, and that's saying something.

It's unlikely that any of these songs will appear in the film, but it's a good bet that DCU will feature music by Chicago's enigmatic bl burns. The talented Mr. Burns was the leader of the now-defunct Chubb Sessions Band, which contributed a couple or three songs to the Burning Annie soundtrack.

Brooklyn's Jen Urban and the Box are a more recent discovery. I really like the song "Something in the Dark," which you can check out on their MySpace page, but right now we've got a different song off their CD cut into the movie.

That's it for now... just wanted to give you a taste of what to expect.

Zack

PS The photo above is Eli "Paperboy" Reed and the True Loves at Crash Mansion, New York, 10/20/07. If it's not a great photo, that's probably because I took it.

3 comments:

Armak said...

I just want to emphatically state my opposition to an opening credits sequence. Just run that shit over the actual film. I am also opposed to short films with closing credits-- run all the credits at the start and then go out in class, like movies used to. Minimize that TRT, baby.

Zackattack said...

OPENING credit sequence? I'm not sure where you read that. "Don't Call Us" will have a title at the beginning of the film (about 30 seconds in), but no other credits.

I agree that end credits on a short are a bit annoying, but we have to get the credits in somewhere, naturally, and I'm gonna make an effort to keep them brief.

Unknown said...

Mr. Burns is not the leader of the Chubb Sessions Band, nor is the Chubb Sessions Band defunct. Just thought I would clarify that...